Blue Monday seems to be the hot topic today .... since it's Blue Monday. So, let's talk about the most miserable and depressing day of the year, which happens to be the third Monday in January.
What makes Blue Monday .... well, blue? Apparently, it's a combination of weather, low motivation levels, and lack of money (due to Christmas just passing). It is also being aptly named "Seasonal Depression" or "SAD", and it usually lasts longer than just the third Monday in January.
The main symptoms are anxiety, depression, feeling unmotivated, mood changes, over-eating and insomnia. You may also feel like you don't care about anything or don't want to leave your home or bed.
Here we will show you how to beat the Monday Blues or SAD with Aromatherapy.
Essential oils effect the part of the brain which is responsible for controlling our moods, anatomically named the Limbic System.
Citrus essential oils such as lemon, pink grapefruit, lime and orange are known to be energizing and carry uplifting properties. Other essential oils such as lavender and ylang ylang are known to fight depression, anxiety and sadness while helping alleviate insomnia.
Simply diffusing the oils in a diffuser or apply topically (by diluting in a carrier oils such as Coconut Oil or Grapeseed Oil) can help combat these seasonal blues. You may also opt for an aromatherapy massage.
Medical advice is also recommended if you suffer from SAD, as your depression or sadness may be of a more serious nature.
Try one or more of the following oils to help with Blue Monday Blues:
- Uplifting effects that awaken the senses
- Energizes body and mind
- Mood enhancer (helps to rid you of bad moods and winter blues)
- Provides clarity to the mind
- Helps to overcome feelings of confusion and un-motivation
- Helps to combat fatigue
- Helps to support self-love and reduce the effects of depression
- Uplifting and energizing effects
- Helps to combat stress, bad moods and anxiety
- Helps to control weight loss, which may contribute to depression and lethargy
- Helps to relieve feelings of despair, grief and more by releasing trapped emotions
- Can help to regain cheerfulness in life and combat lethargy
- Energizing and motivational
- Emotionally beneficial
- Helps to alleviate feelings of depression and anxiety
- Energizing and elevates moods while calming the spirit
- Emotionally balancing
- Evokes feelings of happiness and warmth
- Helps to reduce insomnia
- Great sleep aid helping to reduce insomnia
- Helps to reduce feelings of depression, sadness as well as anxiety
- Mood enhancer
- Evokes feelings of warmth and calmness
- Helps to combat stress and insomnia
- Helps to heal emotional trauma
- Mood enhancer and helps to release bottled up emotions
- Helps with mental clarity and insight
- Assists with self-confidence
- Energizing and uplifting
- Anti-depressant, and helps with stress relief